For centuries, people have consumed honey as both food and medicine. The sticky amber syrup adds a delicious, floral sweetness to a cup of warm tea, toast, granola, and a whole host of recipes. In addition to being tasty, it also offers several significant health benefits. Did you know that you can infuse it with cannabis, too? Cannabis-infused honey offers numerous benefits, offering you some sweet relief from a variety of ailments.
Health Benefits of Honey
Cultures around the world have used honey for hundreds of years. They use the bee-produced product for numerous reasons. Some of the most common benefits of the sticky sweetener include:
- It’s rich in antioxidants. Honey contains phenolic compounds linked to a reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes, and certain types of cancers.
- It may help lower blood pressure. The antioxidant compounds may also help reduce blood pressure in individuals with hypertension.
- It improves cholesterol. Honey can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels.
- It can promote the healing of burns and wounds. Honey has antibacterial properties. Many cultures continue to use it as a topical treatment for skin wounds.
- It can help suppress coughs. Some studies have shown honey to be more effective than OTC cough medications. Another study found that it reduced coughing and improved sleep more than cough medicine.
Benefits of Infusing Honey with Cannabis
Honey has some pretty amazing benefits. Cannabis offers some significant benefits, too. The plant can help to alleviate pain, promote sleep, and so much more. The addition of other herbs, including cannabis, to honey can create a very powerful combination for preventing or fighting illnesses or diseases within the body.
How to Infuse Honey at Home
You can purchase pre-made cannabis-infused honey at most dispensaries. Check out the menus of the shops in your local area. You may find your new favorite obsession.
Another option you have is to make cannabis-infused honey at home. At first blush, you might think it to be a difficult project, but it’s actually fairly simple. All you need are a few household ingredients, low heat, and some time.
Before you start infusing honey, your first step is to decarboxylate your cannabis. Do not skip this step. Decarboxylation activates the cannabinoids, which will allow you to reap the maximum benefits of your infusion.
After decarboxylating your buds, combine them with your favorite honey in a bowl over a double boiler. Maintain a low heat and allow the mixture to infuse for about 40 minutes. Next, strain the honey through a cheesecloth into a glass jar. Resist the urge to squeeze so that you avoid pushing plant matter through the cloth. Once cooled, store your honey in a cool, dark place. If you’re unsure of how much to use, start with a small amount first. Over time, you should find the dose that provides you with the sweet relief you seek.
Enjoy Sweet Relief with Cannabis-Infused Honey
With cannabis-infused honey, you get the benefits of both honey and your chosen cannabis strain. You can add a teaspoon to your favorite tea blend to relieve pain and relax at the end of the day. Drizzle some over your cream cheese bagel or mix it into a bowl of yogurt. A little sweetness and a little relief? What could be better?